In 1874, Hong Kong was hit by the biggest typhoon in history, with numerous casualties; it only caused minor damage to Shau Kei Wan. Shau Kei Wan Fang believed that it was the goddess of Tin Hau who appeared for blessing, and rebuilt the Tin Hau Temple which was damaged during the storm. Legend has it that the Queen’s surname is Lin, who has been able to predict the weather since childhood and saved countless people in shipwrecks. The coastal villagers and fishermen regarded her as the patron saint of the sea and built temples to pray for good weather and a good harvest.
The Tin Hau Temple in Shau Kei Wan does not have barrier-free facilities at all. The local passage is relatively narrow and there are a large number of stairs. It is not recommended for wheelchair users to go alone.
There are several stone steps at the entrance of Tin Hau Temple, which cannot be accessed by wheelchairs.
- The main entrance of Tin Hau Temple in Shau Kei Wan is at No.53 East Main Street. There are stone steps at the entrance of the gate. Wheelchair users are not recommended to go alone
- Most parts of Tin Hau Temple in Shau Kei Wan are narrowly designed and not suitable for wheelchair users.
- The passage has stairs
- There are no ramps in all uneven places
- There is no accessible toilet at Tin Hau Temple in Shau Kei Wan