Location: Tai O | Accessibility Category: Special Attractions | Accessibility Information: Tai O Market only has a few barrier-free facilities.
Tai O is located in the western part of Lantau Island and is the most famous fishing village in Hong Kong. At present, Tai O still retains the unique fishing village of Hong Kong in the early days, and is known as the "Venice of Hong Kong". The shacks are the symbol of Tai O fishing village and one of the most unique landscapes in Hong Kong. Tai O was once Hong Kong's main fishing port and a garrison town, and it has also been a major fishing and salt industry for a century. For generations, Tai O has been a gathering place for fishermen and their families. Fishermen thought that living on plain land was insecure, so they built shacks on the shore to live. The densely packed shack, criss-crossing waterways and bridges constitute the face of Tai O today. You can also take a sampan boat to shuttle through the waterways and admire the stilt houses up close; or take a walk around the fishing village to feel the style of the fishing village of Tai O.
There are only a few barrier-free facilities in Tai O Market. There are ramps connecting the bus terminal and the pier, but the passages in the market are relatively narrow. People with wheelchairs/handicapped need to pay attention to them on holidays.
Tai O is a special tourist attraction with a lot of people on holidays. It is recommended that people in wheelchairs go with their friends in their free days.
Address : Tai O, Lantau Island
- Accessibility Report :
- People of fortitude Intermation Mutual-aid Association for the Disabled
- Related Introduction :
- Discover Hong Kong
- Apart from driving to Tai O, the nearest means of transportation is to take a bus or boat to Tung Chung
- The entrance of Tai O Market is located near the bus terminal with ramps to facilitate wheelchairs/handicapped persons
- The pier is also located not far from the entrance of the market, and there are ramps along the road to connect
- Tai O main attractions, Tai O Market, the internal passages are mainly flat roads, but the design is not too wide. Wheelchairs/persons with reduced mobility need to pay attention to when there is a lot of crowds during the holidays.
-There are ramps connecting the pier and the bus terminal
- The only accessible toilets visible along the way are located near the entrance of Tai O Market (next to the bus terminus)
- The public car park in Tai O is located near the bus terminal and there is no parking space for the disabled